As periodic questions arise how to setup Emotion FX with DMX Output enabled, I’ll try to summarize the most important information here.
In the “System Manual LAS” in chapter “Emotion FX DMX Output” this is explained with more details for a RDM enabled installation. That requires two systems. In contrast this post handles the same setup without RDM (just DMX Output through Emotion FX), which is able to run on one machine.
Please note, that it will not be possible to have the same Butlers online in Programmer at the same time.
First, some preconditions have to be met:
- Emotion FX must be able to run in Fullscreen mode (LCE dongle needed!)
- you need two distinct network cards
- they need an IP address assigned, so cable needs to be plugged in
- the IP addresses of both network cards have to be on different subnets! (e.g. one on 192.168.123.* and the other on 172.22.122.*)
As example lets say we have 192.168.123.20 and 172.22.122.44
- the network card with IP address 192.168.123.* has to be connected to the e:cue Butlers
- of course the Butlers IP address have to be in the same subnet, so in this example something in 192.168.123.* and have to be connected to the network card 192.168.123.20
- you need a patch (*.patx) where the Butlers universes are mapped (in Patchelor, Butlers checked online and Universe set, then save/export)
- be sure that Programmer and Emotion FX are of the same version.
A Programmer V6.1.* only works with an Emotion FX V6.1.*
A Programmer V6.0.* will not work with Emotion FX V6.1.*
First, we set up Emotion FX:
- go to Options > Network Setup > set “e:net Network Interface” to the IP address that connects to the Butlers, in this example it is the 192.168.123.20
- go to Options > Network Setup > set “Discovery Service Network Interface” to the other IP address, we had chosen 172.22.122.44
- machine restart required!
- go to Application Options > Advanced > set “e:net” to one of the IP addresses, as example we choose 172.22.122.44
- in Seqeuncer, create an Emotion FX sequence. In the IP Address field, the “…” Button will show your 172.22.122.44 – use it.
- Emotion FX will be started and your Sequence connects to it. Content will already be shown on Emotion FX windows.
- open the Sequence Properties > DMX Output Settings > Patch File and choose the .patx you previously created. Also tick the “Enable DMX Output” checkbox.
- optionally also tick the “Show Mapped Pixels”. It will show a grid on top of the content of the Emotion FX fullscreen signal, that marks the pixels that are used to generate the DMX Output (according to your patch).
That’s it, the Butler should be online now and DMX output should be as the patched pixels grab it from the content that Emotion FX shows.
If you have problems with this, please state which steps are unclear or where you get stuck!
Here is a sketch that may help for quick reference.